Living Our Legacy: Construction News
Look here for periodic construction updates. Questions? Contact Laura Zabaski, Parish Administrative Officer | 615-385-2150 x 242 or email@example.com.
In Legacy Hall, masonry work on all but the south elevation is complete and the floor slab was poured. Formwork is underway for the raised altar area. Installation of mechanical equipment continues. The structural steel erection for the “octagon” connecting the Kindergarten with Legacy Hall is complete and work is now underway at the new rear entry to the Kindergarten. Masonry and cornice work on the second story addition over the kindergarten wing will be completed in August.
Wood paneling and painting continues throughout the Nave. Work begins this month on the front entry to the Nave. Significant portions of the deteriorating limestone outside the main entry will be replaced with bluestone identical to the entry to Hampton Hall.
Troop 31 storage building will be finished by mid-September.
Building Committee Update
August 6, 2020
Good afternoon all,
Since writing you last month, we have made significant progress on each of the three major components of the job.
Troop 31 Storage Building—I noted last month this would go quickly:
- Framing is complete, as is electrical rough in, insulation and installation of roof shingles.
- Doors and windows are on site and will be installed late this week or next.
- Masonry wainscot and lap siding will also be installed this month with exterior painting to follow.
- Castle Contractors anticipates being 100% complete with this facility by mid-September.
Legacy Hall and St. George’s Kindergarten Wing:
- Masonry work on all but the south elevation of Legacy Hall will be completed this week. The remaining masonry will be laid up concurrent with the construction of the connector that will tie Legacy Hall to the Kindergarten area.
- The wood cornice work that will form the eaves of Legacy Hall will commence in August.
- The floor slab was poured in Legacy Hall in July and formwork is underway for the raised altar area.
- The installation of large exposed ductwork in Legacy Hall began this week and will be wrapped up in August and installation of other mechanical equipment will continue this month.
- Structural steel erection at the new rear entry to the Kindergarten area is underway. Just inside the rear doors, plans call for a two story, octagonal space that will be the intersection of the connector to Legacy Hall, the widened hallway to the existing Gathering Space, and the new entry to St. George’s Kindergarten. Structural steel erection for the “Octagon” was completed earlier this week. Check it out in the photo.
- Masonry and cornice work on the second story addition over the kindergarten wing will be completed in August.
- Installation of the ceiling beams in the curved Chancel ceiling and added drywall to enhance acoustics is complete with final painting of these elements to be be completed this week.
- The fabrication of the stained wood paneling for the Chancel is underway and installation of the panels will begin in August.
- In order to facilitate improved access to the Sanctuary during construction, the curved wood and glass wall at the rear was removed. New paneling will be installed in August.
- for the raised altar area will begin next week with a concrete pour scheduled for later in August.
- Phipps will begin work this month on very visible work at the front entry to the Nave. The front entry doors and solid wooden paneling surrounding the doors will be replaced with divided light glass panels and doors that will result in a more inviting and sunlit Narthex. Phipps will also be replacing significant portions of the deteriorating limestone outside the main entry with bluestone identical to the reworked entry to Hampton Hall.
The projects are all moving forward with good pace and I look forward to reporting significant progress next month.
Cam Sorenson, Chair
Our Plans for the Future
Together, we shall be a brighter light — for the people of St. George's, the community of Nashville, and beyond. View photos and a video with renderings of the project here.
Pledge Your Support Online
It's not too late to pledge! We invite you to prayerfully consider how you will answer the call to participate in the Living Our Legacy campaign. Learn more here.